How to be a Hugely Successful Published Author
First off, you have to write a book ...or get somebody to write it for you, but it has to be one that is going to strike the fancy of 'the mob'. (Think 50 Shades....) If you don't have something that's going to strike a chord with the masses, then you're just one insignificant among the millions of others publishing in the U.S., never mind globally.
Now, before doing anything else, and I mean anything (no queries to literary agents, no submissions to publishers, or, if self-publishing, no announcements, no pre-publication notices or pre-release sales, no cover reveals...NOTHING), lets go down the checklist:
- Are you an extrovert? Yes? Good. Continue.
- Are you part of one or another 'in' crowd, hugely popular both in the real world and on social media, and do you have a frenzied bunch of followers who dote on your every word, video, and image share? Yes? Good. Continue.
- Do you have a bunch of money to fling to the winds? Yes? Good. Continue.
- Are you already famous? Yes? Excellent. If no, continue at your own risk.
- If self-publishing, get a really good cover made for your book. If going the literary-agent-to-big-traditional-publisher route, start querying the big agents, but, after landing one who actually manages to shop your book to one of the big five, expect to wait about 1.5 years before going to the next step.
- Whether self-publishing or going with one of the big trads, hire a top-of-the-line publicist, buy lots of advertising, and get on with it.
And, no, this is not tongue-in-cheek. And, yes, you'll come out behind for the first book, but, if it's a hit like 50 Shades..., no problem. You'll make it back on books 2 and 3. If it's not a hit, continue with books 2 and 3 at your own risk ...and, yes, if it's not a hit and traditionally published, your publisher may very well dump you; your agent probably will, too.
One more thing: If you do make it, hire a financial adviser and learn what NOT to do so you don't wind up blowing your wad and end up in the poor house.